Friday, June 8, 2012

So...I got a speeding ticket yesterday morning on the way to the prayer breakfast. Total bummer. I didn't realize what the speed limit was on the road I was on, and I was clocked at 13 MPH over the limit! The officer was super nice, and we actually had a nice little chat before we went on our way. I thanked him for doing his job, told him how much I appreciated him and his service to the community, and wished him a great day.

Interestingly enough, that's the second traffic citation I've received in the past month or so, and I've only ever had one other in my entire 19 year driving career (LOL!). Several weeks ago, I accidentally ran a red light at a busy intersection where a cop just happened to be sitting. He was very concerned for my safety, and said so over and over: "Ma'am, please be careful while you're driving - you really could've been hurt badly going through that intersection like that." I appreciated his concern. I hate that I had to pay so much money for his concern, but I appreciated it nonetheless. Again, I told him how much I appreciated him doing his job, thanked him for it, and wished him well.

Yes: I said I thanked them for doing their job, for stopping me and giving me a ticket. Why? Because I was wrong. I was not paying attention and I was wrong. 

No one likes to be pulled over and given a ticket. Sometimes we feel like it's not fair; sometimes we're just mad that we got caught. In both of these situations these men were working to ensure the safety of everyone on the road, because it's part of their job to do so. By driving along, oblivious to the things around me, I am a danger to my self and anyone I come across. When I push the speed limit as much as I can, zip through yellow lights because I don't want to stop and wait, or "slow down" at stop signs when I feel there is no real need to come to a complete stop, I run the risk of damaging myself and other people. Don't sit there all pious and judgmental - you know you do it too.

This experience has caused me to think about myself as a Leader, as well as one under the leadership of others. Bringing the whole scenario closer to home, as a Leader, I am one who has the oversight of others and the duty and responsibility to train, equip, and protect them. Now, don't get excited if you don't think I'm talking to you anymore: if you're a parent, you fit this bill! It is your job to train, equip, and sometimes protect those in your care, whether children or other servants in the King's house. You do this by imparting to them the knowledge you've gained from your experience, your studies, and the time you spent in training yourself. You use your better judgement to make a call, to correct, to shape, to prune - to do everything you can to make sure those in your care flourish and bear good fruit. When you correct them, you expect them to humbly receive the correction, listen to it, and grow by it.

On the other hand, as one under authority, it has caused me to question how I respond to correction. What do I do when those who are given oversight of me correct me? Do I humbly receive it and become changed by it? Or do I pay my fines and walk away undaunted, resolving only to be more careful about getting caught?

I certainly do pay more attention to the road now while I'm driving. I didn't realize just how many yellow lights I zipped through! Boy, I stop now - I don't care how late I am! And you can bet that I will pay more attention to the speed limit too - on all roads.

How about you? How do you respond to correction?








No comments: