Tuesday, June 19, 2012


We have a running joke in our family (as many people in our society do these days) about being prepared for the "Zombie Apocalypse". It's everywhere you look! People are picking up on it and capitalizing on the opportunity to make a buck off of it for sure. Now, for years we've had "zombie" video games, music, and movies, but now we have cell phone apps, t-shirts, stickers and magnets for your car, cartoons, music - you name it, all much more "mainstream" than it used to be.

Couple all of that with the recent stories in the news of people under the influence of drugs (and other forces, IMO) attacking people and trying to "eat" them, and your "Zombie Apocalypse" ratings are through the roof!

Since it's been on the front of my mind then, I've been meditating about the idea of being "walking dead", "twice dead", etc. Galatians 2:20 has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager:

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me: 
and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, 
who loved me, and gave himself up for me." Galatians 2:20 (ASV) 

So, in a way, I am the "walking dead", having crucified my flesh on the cross with Y'shua. In Him, I am "dead to sin but alive unto God" (Romans 6). I am to be dead to the world. I am to be dead to sin nature. I am to "put off" the old man and his deeds (Ephesians 4, Colossians 3). I am dead to sin but alive unto God. I really like that!

But there is a different sort of "walking dead" in the world today. They are the ones whose body is alive but whose spirit is "dead in trespasses and sin". They do not know the Messiah. They have not been made "alive unto God" through faith in Jesus Christ and His blood shed for them.

Which kind of "walking dead" are you?


I travel this realm as a walking dead man,
My heart filled with eternal longing....

No comments: